The School of Sciences and Humanities (SSH) of Nazarbayev University invites applications for the position of Full Professor of Kazakh Language and Kazakh Studies. The Department of Kazakh Language and Turkic Studies is looking for senior candidates who are eager to work with motivated undergraduate students and contribute to our academic program in Kazakh Language and in Kazakh Studies within the Department of Kazakh Language and Turkic Studies. Successful candidates will be expected to teach high-quality undergraduate academic courses in Kazakh Language and Kazakh Studies conducted in the Kazakh language. The standard teaching load for faculty at the level of Full Professor is two (2) courses per semester.
The Department of Kazakh Language and Turkic Studies does not have an undergraduate major, but we anticipate proposing an undergraduate minor in Kazakh Language and Turkic Studies. SSH is home to the M.A. in Eurasian Studies and we also anticipate proposing an M.A. in Turkology. SSH is also home to the Ph.D. in Eurasian Studies, which admitted its first cohort of students in August 2019. The appointed faculty member may also have the opportunity to work with M.A. and Ph.D. students in SSH (depending upon area of expertise), but this is not a part of the job description.
This is a three-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
Ph.D. (or Doktor Nauk) degree in a discipline related to Kazakh Studies or related field(s) related to Kazakh Studies with superior-level proficiency in Kazakh language. (In exceptional cases a Kandidat Nauk degree holder with an appropriate record of publication will be considered.)
- A stellar record of research and academic publication in Kazakhstan
- 10+ years of experience teaching at the tertiary level
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Evidence of interest in international scholarship
- An appreciation for flexibility in a developing context
- An interest in continuing professional development (as appropriate)
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- An ability to integrate Kazakh Studies with international scholarship
- A working knowledge of English (preferably at a professional academic level)
- An ability to contribute at a higher level to the development of certificate programs in professional Kazakh language for humanities, social sciences, biological sciences and/or medicine, physical sciences, or engineering.
- Experience in an international educational setting
Applicants should submit an application in English including a cover letter, a complete curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy, and three letters of reference (submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org), plus 2-3 sample publications (PDF format). All applications should be submitted through the Nazarbayev University employment website.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Inquiries should be directed, as appropriate, to email@example.com or to Professor Uli Schamiloglu (Chair of the Department of Kazakh Language and Turkic Studies): firstname.lastname@example.org
We anticipate recruiting a faculty member for an appointment to begin in August 2020. Applications will be reviewed until positions are filled. Complete applications received by 15 November 2019 will receive fullest consideration for August 2020 hires. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.