College of Humanities and Education (CHE)
Faculty Position (Open Rank) in Cognitive Science/Psychology, Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing, Applied Linguistics/TESOL is effective on August 16, 2021.
In the area of cognitive science/ computational linguistics, we are looking for faculty who can teach some or all of the following courses: Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Logic of Language, Introduction to Computational Linguistics, Corpus linguistics, Psycholinguistics: Language and Mind, and/or Technology for Translation.
The period is AY 2021-2022.
KIMEP University College of Humanities and Education invites applications for four faculty positions (two Assistant/Associate Professors and two Senior Lecturers). The positions are a twelve-month (including vacation period) full-time academic appointment to begin on August 16, 2021 with the possibility of renewal.. Responsibilities include teaching, research, scholarly activities, advising, and service. The new faculty will assist in the undergraduate and graduate programs offered by the department, particularly in our BA in Cognitive Science.
We seek talented instructors and innovative scholars who are actively engaged in research and enthusiastic about teaching baccalaureate and master’s degree students and serving the University, local community and the profession. We are looking for productive and cooperative colleagues who will bring new perspectives to theory, research and practice in the fields listed above.
Rank and salary are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Compensation after tax compares favorably with net salaries in western countries.
Limited on campus housing is available to rent, or alternatively, help is available in finding off campus housing. In addition to salary, a benefit package includes basic healthcare insurance, reduced tuition rates for KIMEP courses, and subsidy for relocation allowance. New faculty members are provided with a reduced teaching schedule during the first semester. Summer paid teaching is typically available.
The salary will be subject to deduction of taxes (10% Personal Income tax in general) as required by the Law of Kazakhstan.
Expertise is desired in the following areas:
- Cognitive Science/Psychology, Computational Linguistics/Natural Language Processing (at assistant/associate professor level);
- Applied Linguistics/TESOL (at senior lecturer level).
Applicants for professorial positions should have:
- a doctorate degree in a relevant field from an internationally-recognized, accredited university;
- at least 3-5 years of teaching experience in reputable universities;
- Prior research publications or clear evidence of research potential;
- Industry experience would also be viewed favorably.
Applicants for senior lecturer positions should have:
- a master’s degree in a relevant field from an internationally-recognized, accredited university;
- at least 2 years of teaching experience in reputable universities.
Preferred but not required qualifications for senior lecturers:
- prior research publications;
- Proficiency in Korean, Chinese or German.
- Experience with remote or online course design and teaching is strongly desired.
- Familiarity with CIS countries or similar international experience is welcome.
ABD’s will be considered who meet the position qualifications and include in their application materials a letter from the dissertation chair confirming defense date prior to the position’s start date.
Please submit your application and the following documents to KIMEP University HR Portal directly: hr.kimep.kz/
Filled and submitted application form.
Cover letter that indicates the position applied, how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications, course(s) you can teach, and salary expectations in Kazakhstani currency (KZT) gross.
Shortlisted candidates are required to submit 2 referees’ names/contact details and if you have the recommendation letters you may also attach them to your application.
Please attach your teaching evaluation forms for the last 2 semesters.
Final candidates, non-native speakers of English language are required to submit IELTS academic certificate of the score 8.0 (9.0) or equivalent.
Closing dates for submission of applications:
1. December 15, 2020 (Tuesday, 11 59 pm based on Almaty time). The applications would be considered/interviewed first until January 22, 2021 by the Selection Committee members. Applications received until Dec 15 are guaranteed full consideration.
2. January 31, 2021 (Sunday, 11:59 pm based on Almaty time). The applications would be considered/interviewed until February 12, 2021 by the Selection Committee members.
Personal data provided by applicants will be kept confidential and used for recruitment purpose only.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed and invited for interviews by College of Humanities and Education's Search Committee by the end of Dec 2020, Jan and mid of Feb 2021.